- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- Powdered sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease an 8×8-inch baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- Place oats in a heatproof bowl and pour boiling water over them. Set aside to let soak for 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and set aside.
- In a large bowl or mixer, cream together butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes, or until fluffy and lightened in color, then beat in eggs and vanilla extract.
- Fold soaked oats into egg mixture, then mix in dry ingredients until incorporated and smooth.
- Pour batter into greased baking dish and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- While cake bakes, mix melted butter, brown sugar, cream and shredded coconut together.
- Remove cake from oven and pour topping evenly over the top, then return cake to oven and broil for 2-4 minutes, or until bubbly and golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool at least 10-15 minutes before serving.
Get helpful tips as well as many other delicious recipes at: yummymommies.net